The 2020/21 school year has been a difficult and challenging one for our community. We understand that families in our community are experiencing emotional, physical, and/or financial stresses. The PTA has worked hard this year to help our community to the best of our ability. Some of what we have accomplished, thanks to your support:
- Provided stipends to our teachers to help equip them for successful distance learning
- Community grants for virtual writing festivals, social emotional curriculum + classroom materials, anti-racism libraries for adults and our first + second grade classrooms, first grade student readers featuring BIPOC stories, and third grade mysteries for our library
- Printing support for our Abernethy newspaper, The Talon, a fifth grade graduation event, and ongoing upkeep of our school grounds and the Garden of Wonder
- Literacy support via our Instructional Specialist and one classroom teacher to reduce class sizes in first and second grades
- Teacher appreciation events including a March Welcome Back lunch
- With the help of Jenny Morgan and Dr. Petersen, supported families in our community experiencing food insecurity or financial hardship
- Supported our teachers with district-level advocacy around MAPS testing
How Do We Fundraise?
Each year, our community votes to fundraise for the year ahead, based on the budget approved by the community in May. We accomplish this by holding four fundraising events each year: Tour de Ladd, Annual Appeal, Auction, and Fun Run. Due to COVID, we were unable to safely hold an Auction or Fun Run.
In lieu of these two fundraisers, we are holding a Spring Appeal to reach our goal for the 2020/21 school year as approved by our community. The PTA, along with Dr. Petersen, has been hard at work streamlining the budget and fundraising needs, including reducing the amount of Foundation-supported staff from 1.25 to 0.5. We have been able to reduce our outstanding fundraising goal from $169,000 to $50,000.
How Do I Donate?
Thank you for supporting our Abernethy PTA! A donation of $125 per student will allow us to meet our obligations for next year.
You can make a secure online donation at Mighty Cause. You can also mail a check made out to "Abernethy PTA" with “Spring Appeal” clearly marked on the envelope or check (2421 SE Orange Ave, Portland, OR 97214).
Can I make a donation from my mobile device?
Our website is mobile-friendly, and you can access the donation website right from your smartphone or tablet.
Where Do My Dollars Go?
Our contributions ensure that students both at Abernethy and around the district have the best possible experience. Funds raised support:
- Instructional Support for Literacy
- Community Mini Grants
- Educational Support and Professional Development for our teachers
- Classroom Libraries
- Student Aid
- Classroom and Recess Materials
- Aftercare and Extracurricular Activities for families in need
We are currently building our 2021/22 budget. Our next two Community meetings are opportunities to engage in this process. Please join us April 29 to discuss the budget and May 13 for the votes to approve the budget and elect new PTA officers.
Support for All PPS Students
One-third of funds raised go to the Fund for PPS to provide equity in funding for all district schools. Your contribution not only supports Abernethy – it also promotes equity across our district.
Advocate for increased and equitable education funding
In addition to donating, consider sending an email to our elected officials and Portland Public School Board to let them know that we support their work to ensure equitable educational opportunities for all students. A message with specific examples and personal stories can go a long way toward change!
- Rob Nosse (D): Rep.RobNosse@
- Kathleen Taylor (D): Sen.KathleenTaylor@
- PPS School Board: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you'd like more information about advocacy opportunities for education funding and support, please reach out to PTAadvocacy@supportabernethy.
Thank you for helping Abernethy continue its mission to enrich our children’s educational experience!