The Parent Teacher Association (PTA), the nation’s first parent group in schools, has promoted safety, education, and health of children and families for more than 100 years. The Abernethy PTA focuses on building community and providing enrichment programs for the students. Becoming a member of the PTA is encouraged and gives you the opportunity to vote on the PTA budget and important decisions regarding the school.
If you are interested or curious about any leadership position, please contact PTApresident@supportabernethy.org with any questions or to express interest.
Volunteering is an excellent way to learn more about your child’s school, build community and enhance your child’s school experience. At the beginning of the year, students bring home packets that have volunteer sign up forms. By selecting the events that you think you’d like to help with, you will be put into the volunteer database. You will be contacted by a committee chair or by another volunteer. We have a range of opportunities both short and longer term and will work with you to find a way that respects your schedule. All volunteering is extremely rewarding and appreciated!
Please contact PTApresident@supportabernethy.org if you'd like to get involved.
Some examples of volunteer activities are:
• Annual Appeal
• Auction – procure donations, plan and decorate
• Carnival – set up, run booths, serve food, clean up
• Chili cook-off
• Fun Run – count laps, hand out water and cheer
• Grounds Maintenance
• Kindergarten Round Up
• Library Aide – shelve books, read to classes, organize
• Picture Day
• Playground supervision
• PTA clothing closet – help staff district donation center
• Scholastic Book Fair
• School Directory – gather and organize and input family contact information
• Harvest Social event
• Teacher Appreciation
• Tour de Ladd - organize, staff course, inform neighbors
• Vision Screening