PTA Board Positions
HOW THE PTA BOARD WORKS
The Abernethy PTA Board is composed of elected Officers and Standing Committee Chairs. All Board members contribute to the PTA and may debate items brought up for discussion, however only elected officers vote on board items. The term length of each elected officer position is defined within the PTA Standing Rules and ranges from 1-3 years, with opportunities to serve up to 2 terms in any position. Standing Committee Chairs generally serve for 2 years (one year to learn and one to lead), but may serve longer.
The PTA Board meets once per month. Board meetings are held adjacent to community meetings when possible, usually the third Thursday of the month. Please consult the school calendar for specifics, or the agendas and minutes page. Elected officers must attend a majority of board meetings, while standing committee chairs will attend the meetings leading up to and following their events, as well as any others they would like.
HOW TO VOLUNTEER
Below is a listing of officer and committee chair positions that are open or will be re-elected for the 2019-2020 school year. Elections for officers will be held at the May Community Meeting- those nominated members running unopposed will be voted in, while those running for contested positions will have the opportunity to speak at the meeting before the vote. Nominees for Standing Committee Chairs will be confirmed by the PTA Board by the May Board meeting.
Do you want to participate, but can’t take on a whole position by yourself? No problem! Many positions/committees either have other volunteers who assist with duties or 2-3 people share the responsibility of the Chair or Officer role. So grab a friend and submit your nomination!
Each new board member(s) will have opportunities to meet with the current board member(s) to transfer knowledge and materials to make the transition as easy and smooth as possible.
Please contact abernethyptarecruitmen
HELP WANTED! OPEN PTA BOARD POSITIONS
See the full listing of PTA Board Positions here.
STANDING COMMITTEE CHAIRS
Harvest Social, Term, 1 or 2 years.
Fall community event focused on the Garden of Wonders and connection to nature::
- Plans event activities and coordinates volunteers during the planning stage and the day of the event.
THIS IS GOOD FOR… A person or people who like to plan a party, feel passionately about our school’s garden program, and are available near the beginning of the school year (Sept/Oct) to coordinate this event.
- Works with community and school administration to ensure our school grounds look great and provide a healthy environment for our kids. This includes the maintenance of the Garden of Wonders, Native Garden, Playground and other planting areas surrounding the school.
- Coordinates periodic garden/grounds clean up days for community participation.
- Coordinates “Adopt-A-Plot” program to assign volunteers to specific areas of the school grounds for on-going maintenance.
- May write proposals for grants to procure funds to assist with ground maintenance and/or improvements.
THIS IS GOOD FOR… A person or people who take pride in how our little school under the elms looks and can assist with at least 2 community weekend events each year.
Advocacy, Term, 1 or 2 years:
- Identify opportunities for Abernethy community to advocate for change outside of our school
- Liaise with Oregon PTA legislative director during state legislative session and with the Portland Association of Teachers building representative as needed.
- Communicate and recruit parents to engage in advocacy efforts at state and district levels to promote quality public education
THIS IS GOOD FOR...someone who understands and enjoys following state and district politics, and can guide others in joining collective actions. Can be done remotely.
Basketball, join the team as an Administrator! Term 1 or 2 years:
- Assist with the Basketball Chair and the Treasurer in implementing a new registration system for Abernethy’s K-5 basketball program.
- Work with Basketball Committee to communicate via Support Abernethy website, Monday Mailer, etc.to the larger community regarding important updates throughout the season
THIS IS GOOD FOR...someone who loves basketball but cannot be at school a lot. This role is mainly administrative, working alongside other basketball committee members. Can be done entirely remotely.
Student Support: Term 1 or 2 years
- Works with school counselor to distribute scholarships and assistance to ensure school activities are accessible to all students and families
- Manages a budget
- Identifies opportunities and areas of need for PTA and school community to increase inclusion and access to school events and programs
- Could be combined with Equity/Inclusion Chair Position
THIS IS GOOD FOR...someone who is sensitive to issues around different socio-economic circumstances, is passionate about alleviating barriers to entry for all kids and can work closely with school staff.
Mini Grant Coordinator, Term 1 or 2 years
- Promotes the mini-grant program, encouraging people to apply!
- Works with school and PTA leadership and volunteers to review applications
- Tracks applications as received and communicates with applicants throughout process
THIS IS GOOD FOR…someone who is organized and good at tracking details. Usually requires limited time in the fall (~1 hr/week) except for the week that applications are due and reviewed. Can be done mostly off campus, and is wrapped up by January!
Spanish, join the team as a co-chair! Term 1 or 2 years
- Work with the current Spanish Co-Chair, and with the support of board members in administering Spanish program hiring, enrollment, scheduling and Fiesta planning!
THIS IS GOOD FOR...someone who has one or more children enrolled in/interested in the Spanish program. The role is mainly administrative. Meet with the board a handful of times throughout the school year and in late summer. Most work is done in May-June and Aug-Oct.
Vice President, Term: 1 year as VP, transitioning to Co-President for 2 years
- Assists Co-Presidents with PTA tasks and activities. Fills in for Co-Presidents as needed.
- Participates in monthly meetings with Co-Presidents and Principal, Community Meetings and PTA Board Meetings.
- Learns and prepares for transition in the following year to Co-President role.
THIS IS GOOD FOR… A person who can commit to 3 years on the PTA Board. The majority of the work for this position is done outside of the school/work day.
Secretary, Term: 1 year
- Prepares agendas for monthly Board and Community Meetings, records the meeting minutes for our PTA file and posts minutes online for the community.
- Researches and stays up to date on PTA organization rules for meeting conduct and other procedures (e.g. budget amendments, elections, etc.).
- Monitors and, as needed, moderates the Abernethy School Yahoo listserv. Updates PTA Board listserv and groups.
THIS IS GOOD FOR… A person or people who want to help the PTA run smoothly and can commit to attending up to 2 meetings per month; additional work outside of monthly meeting times is limited.
Finance Team: Treasurer, Term: 1 year
- Responsible for reconciling bank statements, PTA Quickbooks ledger, Shopify Website commerce, and other accounts payable/receivable sources to keep an accurate monthly Profit & Loss statement for the PTA Board.
THIS IS GOOD FOR… A person who would like to play a key role in keeping PTA finances clear so critical school programs are maintained and fundraising goals are met. The person filling this role should be comfortable with basic accounting principles and available to complete the monthly reconciliations for the multiple PTA revenue streams.
Finance Team: Deposits, Term: 1 year
- Responsible for gathering cash and checks from the PTA Inbox and/or Officers and depositing those funds into the PTA account.
- Ensures deposited funds are accounted for and managed appropriately.
THIS IS GOOD FOR… A person who is responsible and comfortable working with money. The majority of this job can be done outside of the school day, however, periodic visits to the school office are required to pick up deposits.
Note: The Finance Team shares 1 vote on the board.
Finance Team: Check Writing, Term: 1 year
- Responsible for generating payments to PTA & Spanish Program vendors, suppliers, and reimbursements.
- Write paychecks for Spanish teachers monthly (7-9 checks).
- After writing checks, meet with PTA Co-President for approval and signature.
THIS IS GOOD FOR… A person who is responsible and comfortable working with money (no cash). The majority of this job can be done outside of the school day, however, weekly visits to the school office are necessary to pick up reimbursement forms and invoices.
Note: The Finance Team shares 1 vote on the board.
Communications, Term: 1 year
- Coordinates volunteers for all PTA communication efforts including: Monday Mailer, Facebook, and PTA Digest.
- Accepts information for and produces the Monday Mailer in Mailchimp weekly.
THIS IS GOOD FOR… A person who likes to learn new skills and work with multiple people to spread the word! Most, if not all, of this role can be done remotely, so if you’d like to be involved, but can’t make it to school this could be for you!
Volunteer Coordinator (currently chaired by 2 people, seeking one person to join the team), Term: 2 years
- Circulate room parent and volunteer questionnaires at the beginning of school to create a database of community members who are interested in volunteering for specific activities.
- Coordinate volunteers for school-wide events such as picture day and hearing/vision screenings, as well as on-going school activities like lunch room assistants and tray washers.
- Maintain room parent distribution list for PTA Board communication efforts.
THIS IS GOOD FOR… A person or people who like to work with multiple people in our school community to make things happen! The ability to participate in school day activities is necessary for this position.
Garden Education, Term: 1 year
- Works with the key stakeholders of our school’s garden program, including Abernethy staff and administration, Cafeteria Lead, Grounds Coordinator and community members and parents, to care for the Garden of Wonders and promote garden education opportunities.
- Plans/coordinates events and enrichment opportunities centered around Abernethy’s Garden of Wonders and garden classes, helps explore daytime garden options.
- Hosts/Coordinates periodic meetings for committee members to give updates, plan activities and resolve challenges.
THIS IS GOOD FOR… A person or people who are passionate about the potential of our school’s garden program and would like to help maintain and improve it.
Membership, Term: 2 years
- Prepares membership materials (hard copies and online) in advance of school starting.
- Encourages community members to join the PTA.
- Gathers completed membership forms and dues and submits a membership roster to the Oregon PTA online. Coordinates submission of dues to the Oregon PTA with the Finance Team.
- Distributes Chinook Books and Apps along with membership cards to new members.
THIS IS GOOD FOR… A person or people who like to meet new people and believes in the PTA! While new members can join the PTA all year, the majority of membership work is concentrated at the beginning of the school year.
New Family Connections (chaired by 2 people, seeking one person to join the team), Term: 1 year
- Communicates with incoming families to help orient them to Abernethy.
- Coordinates and plans events throughout the summer to welcome new families to Abernethy, including summer playground meet ups for new and incoming kinder families and a popsicle social the first week of school.
- Joins school staff at Connect to Kindergarten to help plan and staff the event and welcome families.
THIS IS GOOD FOR...A person who can remember what it’s like to be a new parent or student and wants to make people feel connected to our school community.
E-Commerce Manager, Term: 1 year
- Keeps shopify website (supportabernethy.com) up to date, including assisting other committee chairs to post and make changes relative to their activities
- Explores best communication methods for PTA
- General technology-related troubleshooting as needed.
THIS IS GOOD FOR...A person who is very comfortable with technology, including web design interfaces. Most, if not all, of this role can be done remotely, so if you’d like to be involved, but can’t make it to school this could be for you!
Fundraising Chairs, Term: 1 year
The Abernethy PTA runs four major fundraisers during the year. These are usually chaired by two people with one person in training.
- Tour de Ladd, early fall (love bikes?)
- Annual Appeal, late fall (love being behind the scenes?)
- Auction, winter/spring (love planning big events?)
- Fun Run, spring (love running?)
Each fundraiser is unique but chairs must:
- Prepare materials to be sent home with each child, update Support Abernethy and PledgeStar websites, and communicate with the community in advance.
- Assemble a volunteer team to execute the event or activity.
- Report to the board on progress and donation amounts.
THIS IS GOOD FOR… A person or people who want to make a significant impact on the financial viability of Abernethy’s programs. While each fundraiser can be time-intensive, it is only for a concentrated period of time. Except for the day of the event, most of these can be managed remotely.
Note: The four fundraising chairs share one vote
WANT MORE INFO? OR TO GET INVOLVED?
Please contact abernethyptarecruitmen